Wednesday, January 7, 2009

An American in Paris

This Gene Kelly classic is very close to my heart. While I find the storyline a little ridiculous, I love the setting. I live in France, and after spending this weekend in Paris, it made me crave this film. Kelly's athletic dance style is very different from Fred Astaire's classic tapping, but I truly appreciate both actors and their films. Kelly plays a starving American painter living in Paris. A wealthy patroness discovers him, but it appears her interests go beyond his art. Kelly falls in love with a French girl who is already taken. Beautiful scenery, very extravagant dance numbers, everything one comes to expect from a Kelly production.

No comments:


Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Rear Window

A Streetcar Named Desire

Some Like it Hot