Friday, September 5, 2008

They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

I really did not think I would enjoy this film so much. In fact, I only rented it because my favorite episode of Gilmore Girls was very loosely based on this Sydney Pollack classic. I expected a comedy but was surprised to learn quickly that this film is an intense drama with twists and turns along the way, leading up to an unexpected climax. Gig Young won an Oscar for his portrayal of the MC of a dance marathon. The film is set in the 30s and follows this dance marathon, a contest for $1500. Each contestant is unique, but everyone is desperate. Watching them fall apart gives interesting insight into human nature. It is painful and frightening, yet beautiful in its own right.

No comments:


Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Rear Window

A Streetcar Named Desire

Some Like it Hot